Stanley Charles Scott

May 19, 2018 — Stanley Charles Scott passed away April 27, just three days past his 82nd birthday.

He was born to Charlie and Harriet Scott on April 24, 1936, in San Diego, Calif.

Scotty was a Navy brat, and a very active child, but also very focused and determined. At age 12, he won the San Diego City Golden Gloves (boxing) Championship and during the two years he spent at the U.S. Naval base in Florida, he spent every weekend in the Dilby Dunker. He became so good at the drills, in fact, that at the age of 14 he placed third in a class of 150 Navy recruits and received an honorary graduation certificate at their ceremony.

Returning to his hometown for high school, he took a job driving tractors for truck farms in the valley after school his sophomore year. Seeing where there was room for improvement, he put together a stabilizing/leveler bar on the back of the tractors to keep the machines from digging too deep in the corners and it was incorporated on A. Chalmers equipment for many years after that.

He was also a pitcher for the high school baseball team and awarded a college scholarship, but turned it down in favor of working on motorcycles and cars, thus beginning his lifelong love affair with anything that had an engine and went "vroom," as he once said.

At 18, he was hired by the Lemon Grove Police Department to overhaul its police cruisers and give them more power because all the hot rod street racers would get away every time. He did the job well; their cars became more powerful and faster, but he neglected to mention to them that he was also working on those hot rod street cars at night — so they never did catch many.

Needless to say, that job didn’t last long.

A stint in the Merchant Marines off the west coast followed, then he came to Oregon in 1954. Several years later, he and his wife took their first three children and returned to San Diego, where he took a job for a lumber company. Soon after, a horrific accident took his left eye and part of his face. During his extensive plastic surgeries and recuperation, he worked as an engineer for the Sand Vipers, building and modifying motorcycles for endurance and flat racing in the deserts.

Scotty developed an oil cooling and filtration system that is still an industry standard to this day.

After a full recovery, he brought his family back to Oregon and continued to build his engines and put them to the test on the local track in Hauser. He was three laps into one test run and discovered he had too much power. He lost control on a corner, rolled twice and broke his back.

He didn’t let that slow him down, though.

He continued to build and race cars and bikes for many years after that, ending with over 380 trophies that he kept in cardboard boxes in his tire bus and gave away to every child that took a liking to one.

As president of the local sand buggy club at the same time the National Dunes Park boundaries were being set up, Scotty organized the group to successfully lobby for many of the access points off of Highway 101 between Coos Bay and Florence that the public still uses today.

He also became the reluctant star of a commercial promoting dune recreation when his home built buggy scratched its way past professional buggies to become the only one able to climb an extremely steep dune the day they were filming. He and Lyle Knox built over 300 sand rails while he lived in Hauser, and he continued racing anything with wheels well into the 1970s; he was still helping young racers build stock cars up through the early 90s.

His last Sprint car was so innovative and aerodynamic that it was placed in a museum in Washington State and is still a popular exhibit today.

He purchased his first log truck in his early 20s and began his career as a Gypo trucker, working with countless companies and fellow Gypos over the next several decades. His love of tinkering and ingenuity under the hood as well as his love of speed would show in his beloved red and white Kenworth. He loved to let cars and pickups going up steep hills pull even beside him as he started up with a full load of logs — then he’d laugh and pull the air horn as he dropped a gear and left them behind.

When the logging industry died out, he paid to have his Kenworth refitted as a dump truck and kept on trucking for many more years, hauling sand, dirt, gravel and whatever else was needed for the people around this area. He kept a thriving business built on word of mouth right up until he hung up his keys and sold his last truck at the age of 79.

Scotty never met a stranger, was always willing to lend a helping hand, had a gift when it came to teaching others and loved to share his stories and knowledge.

His youngest daughter will tell you it wasn’t always easy being a teenager in a town where everyone knew you as “Scotty’s daughter”, but she will also be the first to credit him on teaching her so many skills and life lessons that she’s so thankful to have.

Scotty was preceded in death by his parents, his first wife (Babe), his oldest son (Darrell) and a granddaughter (Aspyn). He is survived by brothers Gary and Jerry; daughters Liana and Lori in Texas; son Denton in Arizona; daughter Kaye here in Florence; as well as two children he raised from early childhood to adult, Linda and Terry Haas; grandchildren Lucinda, Lucretia, Darrell Jr., Analee, Jenny and Adrian; great-grandchildren Moira, Aaron, Jaxson, Whitney and Jack; along with 17 nieces and nephews.

A remembrance for Scotty will be held June 2, beginning at 11 a.m. at East Woahink picnic area.

His children will visit via Skype.

Rest easy, Roadrunner, and know you will be greatly missed.


More In Obituaries