May 22, 2019 — Seven Siuslaw athletes stepped centerstage at last weekend's 4A State Track & Field meet at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham, where three Vikings brought home individual state titles — and six others placed among the top 10 in seven other events.
Two of Siuslaw's athletes, juniors Ryan Rendon-Padilla and Hannah Rannow were each defending state titles, in the javelin and 800 meters, respectively.
While Rendon-Padilla was able to hold his 4A boys javelin title with a throw of 186-11, Rannow placed second in the 800-meter race (21:21.43). However, that didn't mean she didn't come home with gold. Rannow, who also ran a leg on the fouth-place 4x400-meter relay team, smoked the competition in the 3,000-meter race, running a personal record of 10:14.30 for the individual state title.
In the 300-meter hurdles, sophomore Gracie Freudenthal continued her dominion in the event, winning the state title with a PR time of 45.64, which earned her the gold and also a new school record. Freudenthal also ran a season-best time of 15.74 in the 100 hurdles for fourth place, and joined senior Naomi Shoji, sophomore Brea Blankenship and Rannow for the state meet's fourth-fastest time at 4:07.89.
In addition, Blankenship placed fifth in the 800 meters in 2:25.40. Sophomore Andrea Osbon threw for third place in th shot put (38 feet, 1 inch) and was 10th in the discus at 96-04.
For the boys, sophomore hurdler Ryan Jennings ran a fourth-place time in the 300-meter hurdles in 41.58.
Overall, the Siuslaw girls placed fifth as a team and just 1 point away from fourth-place North Valley. Hidden Valley won the team title (97), followed by Philomath (69.5), Marshfield (51.5), North Valley (49) ad Siuslaw (48).
The boys placed 18th in team scoring. Newport (65) took the team trophy, followed Mazama (59), Gladstone (49.5) and Sweet Home (46) rounding out the top four.
All-State all seven Siuslaw athletes received All-State recognition, including:
4A All-State Girls:
• First team — Gracie Freudenthal and Hannah Rannow
• Second Team — Andrea Osbon, Freudenthal and 4x400 members Naomi Shoji, Brea Blankenship, Rannow and Freudenthal
• Third Team — Brea Blankenship
4A All-State Boys:
• First Team — Ryan Rendon-Padilla
• Second Team — Ryan Jennings
The Sky-Em League also announced its All-League honors.
Sky-Em All-League Girls:
• First Team — Brea Blankenship, Andrea Osbon, Hannah Rannow, Gracie Freudenthal, 4x400 meter team members Naomi Shoji, Hannah Rannow, Brea Blankenship and Gracie Freudenthal
• Second Team — Davina Galli, Andrea Osbon, Hannah Rannow and Madison Reynolds
• Third Team — Davina Galli, Chloe Madden, Madison Reynolds and Alyssa Richards
• Honorable Mention — Rylee Colton, Hailee Edgerly, Anne Wartnik, Julia Shoji and Winnie Zhen
Sky-Em All-League Boys:
• First team — Ryan Jennings and Ryan Rendon-Padilla
• Second team — Brendon Jensen and Skyler Loomis
• Third team — Rhys Fleming, Brendon Jensen, Jaxson Jensen, Kiger Johnson, Camp Lacouture and Ryan Rendon-Padilla
• Honorable Mention — Matthew Horrillo and Kayden Lane.