Governor calls ‘pause’ for Oregon counties due to spike in COVID-19 cases

Image courtesy govstatus.egov.com/reopening-oregon

Lane County not named among those implementing tighter restrictions; remains on Governor Watch List

Nov. 10, 2020 — On Nov. 6, Gov. Kate Brown announced a two-week “pause” on social activities in five Oregon counties — Multnomah, Marion, Jackson, Malheur and Umatilla— as part of a renewed push to slow record-breaking coronavirus spread, warning that more severe restrictions may be needed without progress. The decision expanded to include Washington, Clackamas, Linn, Baker and Union counties on Monday due to the results of this week’s per capita case counts.

The pause — which applies to counties with more than 200 cases per 100,000 people over two weeks, or more than 60 cases over the same span for counties with fewer than 30,000 people — goes into effect today and will continue through Nov. 25, the day before Thanksgiving.

“It would be great if the entire state ... took these directives seriously," Brown said.

Among other things, the directive prohibits indoor visits at long-term care facilities; encourages working at home; sets new capacity limits at restaurants to 50 people, including customers and staff; limits capacity at gyms to 50 people; and recommends either not gathering with people outside your household or at least capping group sizes to six people who do gather.

The only exception to the restrictions are churches and other places of worship.

Though Lane County wasn’t among the counties that have been experiencing a severe upswing in coronavirus cases at the time, it remains on the Governor’s Watch List with last weekend’s sharp rise in case numbers — 172 cases in three days — raising concerns by Lane County Public Health.

By Monday, Lane County’s total number of coronavirus cases had risen to 2,884, a jump of 256 — more than 100 cases than last week’s record-high. Meanwhile, statewide there were 2,632 new cases as Oregon recorded a new one-day record total of 988 cases on Saturday, followed on Sunday by another 874 cases, with the cumulative number of coronavirus cases exceeding 50,000 with 50,448 cases.

In addition, 20 new deaths were reported over the weekend, bringing the total or COVID-19 related deaths in Oregon to 730.

Even with the latest metrics announced by Brown, the 97439 zip code reflects a similar trend to the larger Eugene-based numbers when compared to the number of residents along the coast. Over the weekend, the Florence area reported one additional confirmed case of COVID-19, bringing the total to 35.

Calling recent coronavirus spread “unprecedented” and “extremely concerning,” Brown pleaded with Oregonians during a news conference Friday afternoon to cancel social plans and urged them to consider this moment a wake-up call.

The governor said she does not want to impose additional restrictions that will be financially devastating for businesses and workers.

“I need all Oregonians to understand that additional closures may be imminent in two weeks if we don’t see reduced case counts," she said. "My sincere hope is that we can work together to drive down the numbers before the Thanksgiving holiday.”

Brown’s announcement came during a week when Oregon recorded more coronavirus cases than at any point since the pandemic began. Although cases have been rising for two months, the urgency reached a new level as active hospitalizations reached an all-time high Friday.

Though Oregon is still recording fewer cases and deaths per capita than nearly any other state, state health officer and state epidemiologist Dr. Dean Sidelinger warned that the significant jump in identified cases over the past week is very concerning, indicating it could eventually give way to “exponential” spread. The result could lead to too many Oregonians becoming ill, pushing hospitals toward capacity and the inability to provide quality care.

“We’re in jeopardy of being at a place where we can’t do that for every Oregonian,” Sidelinger warned.

The latest hospital numbers released by the Oregon Health Authority (OHA) alarmed officials. As of Monday, 217 Oregonians had been actively hospitalized with confirmed COVID-19 infections, up 32 percent from the previous week.

“If we’d acted a week earlier, could we have impacted some of these cases? Potentially," Sidelinger acknowledged. "But it’s a constant dance of trying to make sure we have the most effective measures that people will follow, and that we keep as our north star the ability to protect the health of Oregonians.”

Rachael Banks, director of public health for OHA, stated she believes the pause will be effective in slowing spread – but only if Oregonians heed the guidance.

“We’ve seen how these sorts of measures have stopped spread,” she said.

Sidelinger said he remains concerned about gatherings following the kick-off of the U of O and OSU football seasons on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Siuslaw and Mapleton schools are still planning to bring at least a portion of students back to on-campus learning as early as late December. However, just a single coronavirus case in a week could postpone those plans.

Advertisement


Video News
More In Home