Firefighters, Red Cross respond to mobile home fire


Unattended stove thought to be source of fire

Siuslaw Valley Fire and Rescue (SVFR) responded to a reported mobile home fire May 31 in the 1600 block of Second Street.

Fire Chief Jim Langborg said, “We got a call about 12:43 p.m. for smoke coming from a mobile home. When we got there, we saw light smoke coming from cracks in the door and we could see smoke inside the windows.”

According to Langborg, neighbors said there was no one in the residence, so firefighters had to force their way into the dwelling.

“We located a small kitchen fire,” Langborg said. “We put it out, but due to the damage that had gone on with the smoke, we contacted the Red Cross to make sure these people had a place to stay.”

Langborg said the source of the fire was an oven that had been set to self-clean.

“According to the occupants, they had the oven set to self-clean mode and then left. I don’t know the condition of that stove. We don’t know if it was a mechanical failure of the oven, or if there was some debris that ignited during the cleaning process,” Langborg said.

The American Red Cross Cascades Region said the fire affected one family, including one adult and two children. The Red Cross provided resources to help address the immediate basic needs of the family.


Video News