Coos Bay — From April 14 to July 1, Coos Art Museum will be exhibiting the Expressions West 2017 juried painting competition. Artists from thirteen western states were invited to compete in this annual event. Juror Katherine Chang Liu selected sixty-five paintings by sixty-four artists residing in Alaska, California, Colorado, Idaho, New Mexico, Oregon and Washington.
The opening reception for Expressions West 2017 will take place on April 14 from 5 to 7 p.m. The public is invited to attend. Many of the participating artists will also be in attendance.
An awards ceremony begins at 6 p.m. and Chang Liu will present the prize awards for the competition. The three prizes are $1,000 for first place, $750 for second place and $250 for the third place award. Honorable mentions will also be announced during the ceremony.
All are welcome to come meet the artists and juror at the opening reception.
Juror Katherine Chang Liu, a Los Angeles based artist, combines abstractions with collaged elements to produce strong personal narratives and wonderful painterly works. She has been a museum co-curator, lecturer and teacher of considerable international influence. With her extensive background she has been the invited juror for over 80 national, regional and statewide exhibitions and competitions from coast to coast. She has exhibited in over 45 solo exhibitions including shows in Rome, Italy, Lyon, France and Copenhagen, Denmark. Among many awards she received the Lifetime Achievement Award, from Watercolor USA Honor Society. Her works are found in over 1100 public, private and corporate collections.
Chang Liu will be conducting a walk through tour of Expressions West on Saturday, April 15, at 1 p.m. followed by a tour/talk about Palimpsest, an exhibition she shares with Eileen Senner.
This program is free to the public and promises to be a very special event.
Artists accepted into the Expressions West 2016 exhibition include:
• Oregon artists — Doug Anderson, Martin Anderson, Susan Applegate, Ruth Armitage, Marjorie Black, Sherrie Brooks, David Castleberry, Pete Chasar, Patricia J. Cink, Jane Conkling, Karen Cruickshank, Claire Duncan, M.E. Dunham, Alexandra Eyer, Heather Fox, Judith R. Ginsburg, Margaret Godfrey, Richard Herr, Carol D. Howard, Sharon Jensen, Morgan Johnson, Susan Lehman, Geoffrey McCormack, Diana Milia, Richard Newman, Lynne Osgood, Walt Padgett, Becky Phillips, Patricia Renner, Sher Rosenberg, Sandra Sarff-Aleman, Claudia Schouten-Jones, Pat Snyder, Sarita Southgate, Mary Lou Stebbins, Victoria Tierney, Connie C. Vincent, Kimberly Wurster, Christine Zachary
• Washington artists — Carole Barrer, Austin Dwyer, Charles Fawcett, Frank Gaffney, Steve Hu, James A. Jacobson, Suzanne Kueckelhan, Naoko Morisawa, Judith G. Smith, E.L. Stewart
• California artists - Ellery Akers, Catherine Boyer, Yi Shin Chiang, Mei-Ying Dell’Aquila, Eric Johnston, Karen Kramer, Dana Mano-Flank
• Colorado artists — June Galaz, Doug Martin, Teri McCans
• Idaho artists - Pam Demo, Bonnie Peacher, Marina Zavalova
• New Mexico artist — Dianne Maher
• Alaska artist — Virginia M.Z. Gourley